Sunday, February 23, 2025

A Reflection on Violence and Dialogicality in Multilingual Mathematics Classrooms

 


In Chronaki, Planas, and Källberg’s article, they “discuss dialogicality as a relational onto/epistemology toward addressing translanguaging practices. (p.108)”. By considering acts of dialogicality, the authors explore how such acts may respond to risks of onot/epistemic violence in classrooms. The authors investigate onto/epistemic violence in mathematics classrooms and how certain epistemologies of mathematics perpetuate patriarchal, colonial, and racial perspectives (p. 111).


They ask the following questions: 


(1) What can we read today as risks of onto/epistemic violence in each one of the episodes? 

(2) What is the potential of dialogicality acts in episodes of translanguaging across cultural borders of state monolingual and monologic school mathematics?

p. 116


While examining three different cases in Europe, the authors explore how violence and dialogue are intertwined when students use multiple languages (translanguagin) in classrooms. The authors also refer to Bakhtin’s philosophies on language, to go beyond a binary evaluation of language (positive or negative) to see “language as a dialogic force that carries both liberatory potential and the risk of violence” (p.123). The authors affirm that the dialogic approach has transformative potential in translanguaging for mathematics education, a potential that is co-created among the participants in the interaction. (p.123). 


Stop #1

Quotation: We cannot ignore how the authorial status of curricular language risks the reproduction of onto/epistemic violence through its emphasis on monologic discourse. (p. 114)


Explanation: I chose this quote because it makes me reflect on how pedagogy is evolving and how educators must be increasingly mindful of their language choices. Monologic forms of discourse can unintentionally reinforce dominant knowledge structures while dismissing the validity of students' own languages and cultural contexts. This onto/epistemic violence is especially prevalent in subjects like mathematics, where certain ways of knowing and doing are often privileged over others.


Question: What pedagogical strategies do you use to avoid monologic discourse? Do you find yourself unintentionally perpetuating monologic discourse in your classroom, and if so, how can you shift this approach?


Stop #2


Quotation: While translanguaging is commonly accepted today as good practice, it is not a politically neutral process; instead, it is a space where language use engulfs the risk of violence.


Explanation: This quote highlights that although translanguaging is widely recognized as an effective practice, we must remain aware of the ways in which language and power intersect in these spaces. It reminds us that language is not just a tool for communication, but also a site where power dynamics can be reinforced or challenged, potentially leading to harmful consequences.


Question: 

In what ways can translanguaging practices be implemented while addressing the power dynamics and potential risks of violence within the classroom?


Is it the responsibility of teachers, or do other stakeholders (such as administrators, policymakers, or students) also play a role in addressing the power dynamics and potential risks of violence in translanguaging practices within the classroom?


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Anna for the summary and reflections. In my classroom, I encourage student participation and diversity of thinking in order to avoid monologic instruction. In my teaching, I ask open-ended questions to encourage discussion where students get opportunity to explain their ideas and use real-life situations to connect it with mathematical concepts to make it clear. I encourage students to discover different way to solve the problems to enhance critical thinking. However, sometime when I explain complex concept, I engage in monologic instruction . To avoid this situation, I always try to implement the methods like brain storming, think-pair share creating space for students voice.
    In my opinion, translanguaging can also be done reflectively by establishing an inclusive classroom where all languages are valued and respected. Educators can invite students to use both their home languages and the school language to facilitate learning, and at the same time be sensitive to the ways in which certain languages carry more power in society. A safe space needs to be created where students feel comfortable to use language without fear of judgment. However, teachers are not the only ones who can control power relations in translanguaging. Policymakers and administrators need to endorse policies that embrace linguistic diversity, and students need to be encouraged to value and honor various languages. Together, all can minimize the dangers of language-based discrimination and ensure a more inclusive learning space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, Honestly speaking there are times I find myself using the monologic discourse approach. This happens if am tired and emotionally drained or I am not properly prepared for the lesson. To avoid this situation I sometimes share the students in groups to discuss the topic while I provide prompts as headways to direct the classroom activities. I can also use the problem-solving method in addressing the situation. The students use this method to plan and provide solutions to a given task, another very good approach I can implement is to allow students to arrange tutorials among themselves. Students can be grouped by mixing the different levels of learners so they can assist themselves. This method will enable the good students to assist the weak and average students.
    As regards the matter of a child, educators, administrators and policymakers have a role to play but as a teacher in the classroom I can do my bit by ensuring that the classroom environment is a safe space for everyone. Like Rosmy said, students must respect the views and backgrounds of everybody. As a teacher, I will set rules and regulations as guidelines to avoid any form of violence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your perspective that responsibility should be shared among teachers, administrators, policymakers, and students to create an inclusive and equitable learning environment. However, I wonder how dialogical teaching approaches can be effectively implemented in classrooms where only a few students are immigrants, each with a different first language, especially when the teacher does not speak any or some of those languages. How can educators foster meaningful engagement and ensure these students feel included in mathematical discussions despite language barriers?

    ReplyDelete