In their 2007 study, Wagner and Gerbel-Eisenmann explored the use of the word "just" in mathematics classrooms through corpus linguistics tools. They analyzed how the word is used in discourse, focusing on its impact on classroom communication. To define monoglossic and heteroglossic communication, the authors explained that monoglossic communication "represents one unifying voice," while heteroglossic communication "recognizes the multiple points of view of the individuals involved in a discourse" (p. 4).
Using data from 148 North American classroom observations across various grade levels and teachers with diverse teaching experiences, genders, etc., the researchers reviewed 931 instances of the word “just” within a dataset of 184,695 words. Their findings revealed several key uses of the word:
The most common usage of “just” was as an adverb, synonymous with "simply."
The second most frequent use was as a synonym for “only.”
Third, "just" was used in contexts expressing frustration.
Finally, “just” was employed to mean “recently.”
Wagner and Gerbel-Eisenmann (2007) concluded that the word “just” often functioned as a dialogue suppressor, associated with simplicity and potentially limiting more complex or varied responses or inquiries. The authors encouraged teachers to reflect on their use of such dialogue tools in the classroom and consider how monoglossic tools like “just” might exclude contributions that differ from the established norm (p.9).
My first stop occurs on page 8,
“As student agency is suppressed when teachers use “just” in this way, the teacher is positioned as one who authorizes processes or procedures.”
In their research, Wagner and Gerbel-Eisenmann (2007) found that “just” was most commonly used synonymously with “simply”. This use of “just” raises questions about how language can suppress student agency, especially in classrooms where teachers employ monoglossic tools that implicitly restrict student inquiry. I’m curious about why these words seem to come so naturally to educators and whether they stem from the traditional view of the teacher as an authoritative figure. Teachers are already positioned as an authoritative figure within educational institutions, but as we move toward decentering classrooms to promote student agency, we must be mindful of the language we use.
In what ways might your language unintentionally limit or suppress student agency in the classroom?
How have you used language to position yourself as the primary authority, and what impact do you think that has on student inquiry and engagement?
My second stop occurs on page 13,
“There are various alternatives available to a teacher who wants to direct attention to a certain area and away from other concerns.”
I agree with this point, but I also recognize how challenging it can be for teachers to come up with these alternatives on the spot, especially during a lesson. It’s not always easy to have the right tools readily available at the moment. I often wish there were more practical resources focused on language reorientation for teachers.
In my own practice, I’ve shifted away from using simple “yes” and “no” responses, opting instead for “ok” as an alternative. I learned this in my undergraduate mathematics pedagogy classrooms, where we explored how binary responses can limit student participation. It would be valuable if graduate programs provided more opportunities for practical, hands-on experiences where we could explore alternative strategies and develop the tools needed for real classroom situations. I would love to build a toolkit of strategies we can draw on in our classrooms, grounded in our own classroom experiences and supported by peer feedback, and reflective practices. This approach would directly address the day-to-day challenges of teaching and offer concrete examples we could apply immediately
What can graduate programs do to help teachers become more mindful of the language they use in the classroom to improve student engagement?
Hi Anna, thank you for the summary and I really liked your first stop as it made me to reflect on my teaching experience. During my school life, I have noticed that my teachers often used monoglossic tools like “This is the correct method” or “Just follow the steps that I have shown”. This definitely discouraged students to think in their own way and develop problem solving skills.
ReplyDeleteWhen I became a teaching, I tried not to be a primary authority by providing immediate solutions or directing my students to solve the questions in my own method. However, due to time constraints and to complete the syllabus, I had to take an authoritative position. To create a student-centered classroom I am continuously working on using the questions like “ What did you notice?” “Can you think of another way to solve?” . This encourages students to think creatively and develop confidence in solving mathematical problems. By creating a classroom culture where mistakes are seen as learning opportunities, I aim to empower students to take ownership of their learning, fostering deeper engagement and curiosity in mathematics.
I totally agree with your second point. During my teaching practice, I had classroom observation, peer observation and video recording which helped me to improve my teaching methods and also my language patterns. Moreover, providing collaborative discussions, department meetings and feedback from supervisors can help teachers become more confident and aware of the language usage to improve student engagement.
Honestly Anna ,this is an area where we teachers unintentionally make mistakes in the classroom environment. Whenever i am so authoritative i have literally taken away the power for my students to engage in the classroom .They will take whatever i have said as the final say and will not want to explore or make enquiry, by doing this student will become overly dependent on me, as teachers we must make students develop critical thinking skills and make them explore alternative ideas. The graduate program can help teachers by overcome this by including courses that will make teachers have reflecting thinking before they act. workshops and seminars on effective teaching strategies can be done. Teachers can be mentored and coached by experts on the field as well as given research opportunities to better equip themselves.
ReplyDeleteYou have all raised strong questions about the teacher’s power and authority in the classroom. Do you think the teacher’s role should include some degree of authority— or not? How can we as teachers support our students’ learning without being the only voice in the room? What about kids who are relatively assertive or non assertive in class?Whose voices get heard, and how?
ReplyDelete